I have been teaching Pilates for 19 years. At every large gathering where distant relatives or friends of friends are around I always get recognized as "Leslie the Yoga teacher". Now those who know me well, know that nothing would bother me more. It is not that I hate yoga. I have done my fair share of yoga however it does not speak to me the same way Pilates does, and there may be many reasons for this... however that is not the point of this message!
Pilates is NOT Yoga.
Pilates is a system of exercises which focuses on strengthening the deep muscles of the abdomen and back while working muscles in lengthened as well as contracted positions to improve muscle tone and increase flexibility.
Instead of me continuing to tell you what Pilates is NOT here is a list of what Pilates is!
- Pilates is Non-impact resistance which means anyone with the inability to jump or bounce can still practice!
- During a Pilates class there is no stress on the joints as we are almost always lying on the floor.
- Pilates is safe and effective for ALL fitness levels
- Pilates builds increased strength without adding bulk, as we are always strengthening and stretching simultaneously.
- Pilates will aid in injury prevention and rehabilitation by achieving muscular balance.
- Improve balance
- Enhance performance is sports and daily activities
- increased flexibility, agility and mobility
- Better posture
- improved circulation
Is it important to know that Pilates the method is named after the creator? Probably. Joseph Hubertus Pilates called this method Contrology and it was posthumously changed.
I strongly urge everyone who loves to exercise to try Pilates. It may not be the exercise that speaks to you the most, but it will bring you within your body to notice, recognize and aspire to overall body, mind and spirit balance.
Join me for a virtual session with a group, private, duet or trio! I do recommend Private training to get started as it more quickly addresses areas that YOU need to focus on! Email me for 3 Private virtual sessions at $180 (you can decide to bring a friend or two if you'd like).