18 Nov The Season of Gravy by Laurel G. Moschetto
GIVE IT UP FOR THE GRAVY!
Well folks, it is upon us again, that season that Leslie likes to refer to as the “season of gravy”. Its time for turkeys, trimmings and family gatherings: a time when most Americans can gain anywhere from 5 10lbs in a 2 month timespan. To offer up a little help to combat Grandma’s Gut Busting Gravy I offer up a glutenfree and potentially dairyfree (if you are into that kind of thing) solution. Here is a Health Coach Laurel Approved Gravy recipe, the one I make for my very own people.
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter (I love Kerrygold butter)
- 1 onion finely chopped.
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Starch (Potato Starch, Arrowroot or
- 56 Tablespoons of Blanched Almond Flour.
- 1 1/4 Cup of Chicken Broth/Turkey Broth or even turkey juice
from your cooked turkey
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbs Heavy Cream OR for dairy free peeps Heavy Coconut
- salt to taste.
- To a saucepan add the butter, and onions. Cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes or so until caramelized (a beautiful golden brown color and cooked through).
- Add the Black Pepper, Starch and Almond Flour. Stir for 1 minute and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir and gently boil until thick. If you want your gravy thicker feel free to add an additional 23 TBS of almond flour.
- Salt to taste. At this point I like to put the gravy in my Vitamix to get it 100% smooth (by grinding up the onions) but this step is optional.
- Gravy will thicken as it cools.